After initially postponing their planned Nintendo Direct event due to the earthquake in Hokkaido earlier this month, they rescheduled their signature online event and presented a lot of updates on games that were already known about, as well as many completely new announcements for both the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS.
For a full summary, Nintendo has also provided a handy bullet-pointed list of each of the announcements made during yesterday’s half-hour long direct, which you can find below, or you can relive the event on Nintendo’s website
————— Original Press Release Below —————-
NEW GAMES IN THE ANIMAL CROSSING AND LUIGI’S MANSION SERIES ARE COMING TO NINTENDO SWITCH
Isabelle from the Animal Crossing series will also be a playable fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
13th September, 2018 – In a new Nintendo Direct video presentation, Nintendo revealed that new games in two major Nintendo series are currently in development for the Nintendo Switch console. Animal Crossing for Nintendo Switch (working title), which is a new main game in the Animal Crossing series, and Luigi’s Mansion 3 (working title), will both come exclusively to Nintendo Switch in 2019. The video presentation also debuted a new Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Nintendo Switch hardware bundle. To view the Nintendo Direct video in its entirety, visit the Nintendo Direct website.
The Nintendo Direct presentation revealed a diverse line-up of games headed to Nintendo Switch, including a massive collection of classic FINAL FANTASY games, an HD remake of the beloved Katamari Damacy, and adaptations of some best-selling card and board games like Carcassonne and Pandemic.
If that’s not already enough, the Nintendo Direct also unveiled other details for the paid Nintendo Switch Online membership service which starts on 19th September, highlighted a selection of Nintendo 3DS games, and revealed more details about previously announced Nintendo Switch games like Yoshi’s Crafted World, DAEMON X MACHINA and Mega Man 11.
Some of the highlights revealed in the video include:
- Animal Crossing for Nintendo Switch (working title): A new mainline game in the Animal Crossing series – the first since Animal Crossing: New Leaf debuted on Nintendo 3DS in 2013 – is slated for a 2019 release exclusively for Nintendo Switch.
- Isabelle Joins the Fight!: Taking a break from assisting mayors and just being an all-around lovely pup, Isabelle from the Animal Crossing series is joining the roster as a playable fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
- Luigi’s Mansion 3 (working title): The next instalment in the spooky series is currently in production, and will launch exclusively for Nintendo Switch in 2019.
- Nintendo Switch Online: With Nintendo Switch Online, members gain access to online play, and Save Data Cloud backup in compatible games, the NES – Nintendo Switch Online growing library of classic games with added online play, special offers and a smartphone app with features to make online gaming sessions more fun and engaging for supported games. In addition to Splatoon 2, more online games will support voice chat through the app, including Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS and Mario Tennis Aces. Nintendo Switch owners won’t automatically become members when the service launches on 19th September, so they will need to purchase an individual or family membership in order to keep enjoying online play in compatible games. For more information about the service, visit http://www.nintendo.co.uk/switchonline. A free seven-day trial will also be available. At launch, 20 NES games, including Super Mario Bros. 3, The Legend of Zelda and the newly announced Pro Wrestling – available for the first time since its 1987 release – and Ice Hockey will be available to play, with more games added regularly.
- Nintendo Entertainment System Controllers: Playing Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online will feel even more authentic by using the new, wireless Nintendo Entertainment System Controller, available for purchase exclusively for paid Nintendo Switch Online members. This re-creation of the original, iconic NES controller comes in a pack of two for £49.99 and can be charged by attaching to a docked Nintendo Switch console. NES controllers will be available for pre-order from 19th September. For more details, visit http://nintendoswitchonline.nintendo.co.uk/
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe: Up to four players can enjoy this revamped version of the classic Wii U launch game when it comes to Nintendo Switch on 11th January 2019. Mario, Luigi and Toad return as playable characters, and are joined by Nabbit and Toadette, who can transform into new character Peachette by grabbing a Super Crown, offering new ways for beginners to play together with friends and family. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe will also include New Super Luigi U, the first platformer with Luigi in a starring role, at no extra charge. Between both games, there are a whopping 164 courses to play.
- Yoshi’s Crafted World: Play as an adorable Yoshi travelling through a world crafted from household items like boxes and paper cups in this new Nintendo Switch platforming adventure. After traveling through a stage, players can start at the goal and journey back to the start on the “flip side,” the rear side of the course, to discover new secrets. Yoshi’s Crafted Worldlaunches on Nintendo Switch in spring 2019.
- Nintendo Switch Super Smash Bros. Ultimate edition: This upcoming Nintendo Switch bundle features the Nintendo Switch console – complete with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate branded Joy-Con controllers and dock – and a download code for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. The Nintendo Switch Super Smash Bros. Ultimate edition launches on 16thNovember. (The download code for the game won’t be active until the game launches on 7th December.)
- FINAL FANTASY Extravaganza: High-definition versions of some of the most beloved FINAL FANTASY games of all time are coming to Nintendo Switch. This includes FINAL FANTASY VII, FINAL FANTASY XII: The Zodiac Age, FINAL FANTASY IX, FINAL FANTASY X and FINAL FANTASY X-2. This is the first time any of these FINAL FANTASY games have been released on a Nintendo console. In addition, FINAL FANTASY XV Pocket Edition HD will soon be available to download in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch, and three other games in the FINAL FANTASY universe will launch on Nintendo Switch in the near future: The levelled-up edition of WORLD OF FINAL FANTASY MAXIMA launches on 6thNovember, Chocobo’s Mystery Dungeon EVERY BUDDY! launches this winter, and Nintendo GameCube co-op game FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES Remastered Edition with online multiplayer and no need for a link cable comes to Nintendo Switch in 2019.
- TOWN (working title): GAME FREAK, the developer of the Pokémon series, is creating a new RPG exclusively for Nintendo Switch. In TOWN, players must take up arms against invading monsters, all within the walls of a single village. TOWN launches for Nintendo Switch in 2019.
- Super Mario Party: In the newly-revealed Sound Stage mode, up to four players can each shake a Joy-Con in rhythm-based gameplay, while the River Survival mode offers the series’ first four-player co-op. Plus there’s 80 new mini-games, a single-player Challenge Road, the mini-game gauntlet Online Mariothon and much more. Super Mario Party launches for Nintendo Switch on 5th October, and is available for pre-purchase on Nintendo eShop and the official Super Mario Party website, with purchasers receiving double My Nintendo Gold Points when the game is released.
- Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee!: During the adventure, players will be able to use their partner Pokémon (either Pikachu or Eevee) to overcome obstacles using Secret Techniques. These are skills that only partner Pokémon can use, like chopping down trees, traveling across water or soaring in the sky. Both games launch exclusively for Nintendo Switch on 16th November. A bundle – including a Nintendo Switch console decorated with silhouettes of Pikachu and Eevee, special Pikachu and Eevee themed Joy-Con, a Nintendo Switch dock with colourful artwork of Pikachu and Eevee, a pre-installed version of either Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! or Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee!, and a Poké Ball Plus controller – will also be available on the same day.
- Katamari Damacy REROLL: New fans will be joining the chorus when an HD remaster of the classic Katamari Damacy comes to Nintendo Switch, complete with HD rumble, gyro control and multiplayer support with the Joy-Con controllers. Katamari Damacy REROLL launches in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch this winter.
- Asmodee Digital: Asmodee Games is bringing full adaptations of best-selling card and board games like Carcassonne, The Lord of the Rings: Living Card Game, Pandemic, Munchkin and Catan to Nintendo Switch, starting this December.
- DAEMON X MACHINA: In this stylish action game first revealed at E3, the world and its inhabitants are on the brink of extinction. As a mercenary, players will pilot a powered-suit called an Arsenal and face runaway AI. Defeat enemies and acquire parts that can be equipped on the fly or brought back to base to craft new armaments. Use additional tactics by changing between projectile and melee attacks or take the fight on foot to gain an advantage in battle. DAEMON X MACHINA launches for Nintendo Switch in 2019.
- Capcom Beat ’Em Up Bundle: Some of Capcom’s most classic arcade games like Final Fight, Captain Commando and Knights of the Round are coming to Nintendo Switch with up to four-player local or online play. This also includes games that have never launched on home consoles before, like Armored Warriors and Battle Circuit. The bundle launches in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch on 18th September.
- Cities: Skylines: The acclaimed city-building game is now available in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch, which means players can manage resources, improve quality of life, energize businesses and stimulate growth, anytime and anywhere.
- Civilization VI: When the acclaimed strategy game comes to Nintendo Switch on 16th November, it will do so with an exclusive four-player wireless LAN multiplayer mode.
- Mega Man 11: Mega Man 11 busts onto Nintendo Switch on 2nd October, with a free demo already available in Nintendo eShop. In addition, players will be able to unlock helpful in-game items for use in the full game by using the existing Mega Man amiibo figure from the Super Smash Bros. series.
- Splatoon 2 Version 4 Update: Starting today, the first set of new weapons in the Kensa Collection are coming to Splatoon 2 as part of the new Version 4.0 update. These familiar weapons are painted with stylish monotone designs. In addition, significant new Splatfest changes are coming as part of this update. From the beginning of October, Version 4.1 will bring a new stage, new songs and more Kensa Collection weapon sets compete with new sub and special weapons.
- Mario Tennis Aces Version 2.0 Update: After downloading a free update to the action-packed sports game on 19thSeptember, players will have access to a new online co-op mode that lets players participate in time-limited missions with other players. Complete objectives while these missions are active and players will receive special outfits, characters with alternate colour schemes, and more. Also, be on the lookout for new upcoming playable characters like Birdo, Shy Guy, Koopa Paratroopa and Petey Piranha.
- Diablo III: Eternal Collection: The Nintendo Switch version of this classic action-RPG will send players on a journey through Sanctuary, where they’ll vanquish the armies of Hell and plunder powerful loot as one of the seven playable classes. Up to four players can adventure together via local or online multiplayer. The Nintendo Switch version of the game features the exclusive Legend of Ganondorf cosmetic armour, compatibility with all current amiibo figures, and more. Diablo III: Eternal Collection launches on 2nd November.
- Starlink: Battle for Atlas: Do a barrel roll and defeat Wolf’s team in Star Fox missions, exclusive to the Nintendo Switch version of the game. Starlink: Battle for Atlas launches for Nintendo Switch on 16th October.
- Two RPGs on the Way!: Fans who love playing role-playing games anytime and anywhere are in luck. The World Ends with You -Final Remix- from SQUARE ENIX launches 12th October, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna – The Golden Country comes to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 owners with the Expansion Pass on 14th September, before it hits shops as a standalone packaged version on 21st September.
- Warframe: New fans can join more than 38 million players for free-to-start co-op space-ninja action when Warframe launches for Nintendo Switch on 20th November.
- Just Dance 2019: With Just Dance on Nintendo Switch, there’s no excuse for players to not get down to Camila Cabello, Bruno Mars and Cardi B. at home, in the middle of the park or even at the dentist’s office. Just Dance 2019 launches on 26th October.
- EA SPORTS FIFA 19: EA SPORTS FIFA 19 is fast approaching. Time to warm up and prepare for kick off when it launches for Nintendo Switch on 28th September.
- Team Sonic Racing: Team Sonic Racing launches for Nintendo Switch this winter.
- NBA 2K19: The highest-rated basketball simulation franchise returns to Nintendo Switch with NBA 2K19, available now.
- NBA 2K Playgrounds 2: Get ready to jam in this sequel to the smash-hit NBA arcade game, as NBA 2K Playgrounds 2 comes to Nintendo Switch this autumn.
- LEGO DC Super-Villains: Why so serious? Play as The Joker, Harley, Lex Luthor and the rest of the best of the worst in the new LEGO DC Super-Villains game, launching for Nintendo Switch on 19th October.
- Kirby’s Extra Epic Yarn: The hit Wii game Kirby’s Epic Yarn is warping to Nintendo 3DS. Every stage in the original Wii version is stitched in, but this Nintendo 3DS version has some new features, like the ability to craft bigger yarn balls, summon bead-collecting wind and play two new modes featuring familiar faces King Dedede and Meta Knight. Kirby’s Extra Epic Yarn is scheduled to launch for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems in 2019.
- Mario and Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story + Bowser Jr.’s Journey: One of the most acclaimed games in the Mario & Luigi RPG series is getting a remake on Nintendo 3DS. In addition to the game’s revamped graphics and refined gameplay, a new side story follows Bowser Jr. as he gathers an army, creates formations, supports his allies with an arsenal of moves, and generally causes chaos (in the best way possible). Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story + Bowser Jr.’s Journeywill prove two adventures are better than one on 25th January.
- Luigi’s Mansion: Two players who each own the game can team up to explore and capture ghosts in Luigi’s Mansion, a Nintendo 3DS remake of the classic Nintendo GameCube launch game. This new version of the game also features amiibo support. Tapping one of the four compatible amiibo will reveal where Boos are hiding and heal Luigi when he talks to Toad, among other bonuses. Luigi’s Mansion will haunt the Nintendo 3DS family of systems on 19th October.
- YO-KAI WATCH BLASTERS: Whether players throw their allegiance behind the Red Cat Corps or the White Dog Squad, YO-KAI WATCH BLASTERS lets players team up with friends locally or online to tackle the most action-packed battles in the series yet. A free “Moon Rabbit Crew” software update on 27th September will add new missions, new areas to explore, new Yo-kai to befriend and new Big Boss Yo-kai. YO-KAI WATCH BLASTERS: Red Cat Corps and YO-KAI WATCH BLASTERS: White Dog Squad are available now.